THIS is a garlic scape....
The farmer told me: Garlic scapes are the green-colored stems and unopened flower buds of hard-neck garlic varieties. they have a mild garlic flavor with a slight sweetness.
My thoughts - it's got a nice garlic flavor - and really - you can't go wrong with that!
The girls and I went to the local farmers' market today and picked these up (along with some other amazing produce). The farmer we bought them from gave me this recipe. I went right home and whipped it up. Super tasty!
I didn't do anything with it yet, but I'm planning on trying it on pasta as the recipe suggests. Maybe on some nice crusty bread too.....
10 garlic scapes - ends and buds trimmed
1/3 cup unsalted pistachios, almonds or walnuts (I used natural almonds)
1/3 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
salt & pepper
1/3 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Puree scapes, nuts, cheese 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper in a food processor until very finely chopped.
- With motor running, slowly pour in the oil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir into warm pasta with a little reserved pasta water and serve.
- Store in fridge for up to 1 week or freeze in ice cube trays and store for up to 1 month.