Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Garlic Scapes Pesto

What is a "garlic scape" you ask?


THIS is a garlic scape....

The farmer told me: Garlic scapes are the green-colored stems and unopened flower buds of hard-neck garlic varieties. they have a mild garlic flavor with a slight sweetness.
My thoughts - it's got a nice garlic flavor - and really - you can't go wrong with that!

The girls and I went to the local farmers' market today and picked these up (along with some other amazing produce). The farmer we bought them from gave me this recipe. I went right home and whipped it up. Super tasty!

I didn't do anything with it yet, but I'm planning on trying it on pasta as the recipe suggests. Maybe on some nice crusty bread too.....



Ingredients
10 garlic scapes - ends and buds trimmed
1/3 cup unsalted pistachios, almonds or walnuts (I used natural almonds)
1/3 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
salt & pepper
1/3 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil

Directions
  • Puree scapes, nuts, cheese 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper in a food processor until very finely chopped.
  • With motor running, slowly pour in the oil.
  • Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  • Stir into warm pasta with a little reserved pasta water and serve.
  • Store in fridge for up to 1 week or freeze in ice cube trays and store for up to 1 month.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment