Sunday, September 16, 2012

Sheila's Apple Pie

Went apple picking with the Little Ladies and Farmer Bob today (Farmer Bob is my mom's husband). Picked up some Cortland and Macintosh apples. The girls kept asking to make an apple pie, how could I say no???

As far as I know, I've never made an apple pie before. I've had the pleasure of eating many apple pies, but never actually making one. So I went to Facebook looking for help. My cousin Sheila came through with this recipe she got off of a pie dish she bought. It was pretty good! Farmer Bob said it was one of the best pies he'd ever eaten. He judges an apple pie contest every Fall, so I'll take that as a compliment!

The Little Ladies helped me mix the apples with the sugar and cinnamon mix and then helped pour them in to the pie plate. When the time came to eat the pie, they only wanted to have the vanilla ice cream, which Little Lady #1 said was the tastiest part ;-)


A watched pie never bakes.

Fresh out of the oven!

Ingredients
2 crusts for a 9" pie plate (I used Pillsbury, but you can use whatever you like!)
6 cups apples, cored, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 Tbsp butter

Directions
Preheat oven to 425. Place one pie crust in the bottom of the pie plate. Mix flour, sugar, spices and a dash of salt with apples until completely combined. Place apples in pie crust and dot with butter. Cover with top crust, crimping edges to seal in juices. Cut vents in the top using a knife.

Place strips of foil over edge of the crust to prevent burning. Remove foil shield about 15 minutes before pie is done.

Bake for 40-50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment