Tomorrow is the 2nd Annual Cupcake Swap for a group of my friends. This is one of the cupcakes I decided to make. Yeah.... I made 3... wanna make something of it??
1 box White Cake Mix
4 egg whites
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup sour cream
zest of 3 lemons
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1-2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3-4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
- In a small bowl, sift cake mix to remove any lumps.
- In a large bowl, gently whisk egg whites, oil, buttermilk, lemon juice, sour cream and lemon zest together.
- Combine wet ingredients with the cake mix and stir until well combined.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Lemon Glaze: Place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth. The mixture should reach a consistency similar to tomato soup. (I can't think of anything else to liken it unto)
- Spoon glaze over cupcakes that are nearly cooled and let the glaze set.
- Buttercream: Beat butter and cream cheese for 2 minutes. Scrape down bowl and add vanilla and cocoa. Slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.
- Pipe buttercream over glazed cupcakes and top with yellow sprinkles or lemon slices. (I topped with Lemon Sprinkles that Pampered Chef used to sell.)
Copyright © YourCupofCake